Thursday, February 12, 2009

Talking Baseball

I don't understand Dodgers owner Frank McCourt. He has a huge tv contract. He has the money to get ballplayers and well doesn't. It's horrible. I mean the Dodgers dropped at least $60 million in payroll for no reason. They draw fans. They get money from the tv contract. There is absolutely no excuse.

This year they could have made an effort to get C.C. Sabathia, who wanted to be here in Los Angeles, they chose not to. They are playing games with Manny Ramirez when they shouldn't and the alternatives they had in mind, Adam Dunn and Bobby Abreau have signed elsewhere. I guarentee they will not be successful if they don't sign him. I know what you get with Ramirez but they need him.

On that thought the pitching is suspect at best. Billignsly is coming off a broken leg. Kuroda looked decent at times but still has question marks, can they rely in Kershaw? Claudio Vargas? Jeff Weaver??

Really they should have re-signed Derek Lowe more then anything. You know you get a guy who eats innings and is reliable.

I think it's going to be a long year.

2 comments:

Robert E Wilson said...

Don't be so down on the Dodgers yet. Recent history indicates that the best strategy is to pick up your free agents mid-season. The teams that start out well don't always finish well.

The Dodgers, whether or not they sign Manny will probably flounder around .500 and then try to sign the right couple of guys to make a run in August and September.

Erik said...

I don't even think they are a .500 team right now. The two best pitchers in baseball (Peavy and Webb) are in the division and it's going to be a hard hill to climb. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it.