Thursday, February 21, 2008

Same Standard

With the news of John McCain's affair with a lobbyist I wold like to take you to a Senator named John McCain and a speech he gave on the Senate floor in February of 1999:

"All of my life, I have been instructed never to swear an oath to my country in vain. In my former profession, those who violated their sworn oath were punished severely and considered outcasts from our society," McCain told the Senate in February, 1999. "I do not hold the President to the same standard that I hold military officers to. I hold him to a higher standard. Although I may admit to failures in my private life, I have at all times, and to the best of my ability, kept faith with every oath I have ever sworn to this country. I have known some men who kept that faith at the cost of their lives. I cannot -- not in deference to public opinion, or for political considerations, or for the sake of comity and friendship -- I cannot agree to expect less from the President."


That being said John McCain needs to drop out of the Presidential race immediately! Of course the "straight talker" wouldn't want to be a hypocrite would he?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20080221/cm_thenation/45288534

2 comments:

Robert E Wilson said...

"That being said John McCain needs to drop out of the Presidential race immediately!"

That's assuming the New York Times is right. Mind you that they offered no substantial evidence to the claim. John McCain emphatically denies it.

I wonder if you would have been so quick to trust the New York Times had the alleged affair been with Barack Obama.

Erik said...

Please they held that story for a month to verify and re verify. Of course McCain denies it just like Clinton did at first but that didn't stop the right-wing attacks on him that continue today. The fact is how Republicans for years claim they are the party of values when so many Republicans have been indicted (in fact one more yesterday) and are currently under investigation they are nothing but hypocrites. As I said I will use those words by McCain as long as I can.

Robert I remember you saying when I submitted the question about the Republican candidates sex lives to the Republican You Tube Debate who it was not important. This is proof why it is. Especially since they are the one's who put Clinton's sex life out in the open. They should be under as much scrutiny as Clinton and if you don't except that well that makes you a hypocrite as well if you represent these "values" that they claim they do but as reality sets in we know they don't.