Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Questions

I have questions in regards to the mosque being attempted to be built near ground zero.

First do we have freedom of religion or don't we? According to the leaders on the right we apparently don't. But then again they never believed in the constitution except for the right to bear arms to begin with I guess.

Second are we at war with Islam or Terrorists? I think a distinction should be made. I think it has been made. We are at war with terrorists last I checked. The Christian right has been saying (Newt specifically) has been saying we are at war with the religion of Islam.

We are at a crossroads right now. I hope our constitution wins.

1 comment:

Robert E Wilson said...

This is a complicated issue and I have thought about this a lot and there is no simple answer. There are limits to freedom of religion. Bigamy is illegal even though some religions allow it. We wouldn’t accept a religion that condones human sacrifice, right?

Then there is Islam and that’s where this gets tricky. Keep in mind that this is a religion that condones physical punishment of women and slavery. It is also a religion that has the expressed view that it must ultimately become the world’s only religion.

I know at this point you want to tell me that these are the views of just the extremists. Are you so sure? Understand that Muslims are also taught to deceive us Infidels in that their intentions are benign. So when a Muslim tells you how sweet, peaceful, and tolerant most Muslims are, the question arises whether that individual really believes this or is he/she following the command to deceive you.

Personally, I don’t believe that all Muslims are violent terrorists bent on taking over the world but I don’t think the percentage of Muslims who do believe this is as small as we are meant to believe. Their track record indicates otherwise.

Understand also that the Qur’an tells Muslims to build a Mosque over conquered land. Again, I’m sure many Muslims won’t see it this way but I’m sure many will. I can only imagine the pride Osama bin Laden will feel knowing of a Mosque built so close to the site of his triumph.

Again, this is a complex issue and is not a Left vs. Right argument. Many Democrats are opposed to this as well.

By the way, don’t you know that according to the Obama Administration, there is no war on terror?