Friday, April 30, 2010

A few things

I just want to state a few things regarding immigration and my stance on the law.

First Washington won't take up the issue. And that's no matter who is in charge. Democrats won't because it will hurt a growing base and Republicans won't because it will lose cheap labor which they like.

Second my stance on the law is because living in Los Angeles I hate the fact I need to learn Spanish when I don't live in Mexico. I hate the fact that a majority of radio station in Los Angeles broadcast in Spanish and I hate the fact that I cannot go to say a fast food place and need to understand Spanish to order food. I hate the fact that I've gone to a wrestling show and the announcers were in Spanish and I couldn't understand a word they said.

Third I underestand on this issue I am a racist. I'm sorry about that this is the way I feel and I've always said I'm going to be honest.

Fourth is the nerve of Arizona after passing the law they are actually asking for Federal Funds to train officers. Sorry but if this is what you want you have to pay for it

1 comment:

Robert E Wilson said...

You make some good points. We seem to always hear the argument "We are all immigrants."

There seems to be a distinct difference. When English, Irish, German, Polish, Chinese, Japanese and the rest came here, they were grateful to be here. While maintaining many elements of their respectful cultures (love that pizza), they made sure their children learned English and encouraged them to be proud Americans. This is why first-born generations, for the most part, blended right into the melting pot that America is supposed to be. My own mother for example, is first-born American daughter of Italians, yet she would never consider herself Italian or owe allegiance in any way to Italy.

Yet many Mexicans and other Latinos go generation after generation and still treat English as a second language, if a language to learn at all. I work with Latinos and they literally see me as an American while they see themselves as Mexicans, even though their families have been here for decades.

As you have basically said, being in Southern California puts us on the front line. Those in the northern states don't get it. Yes, there are Latinos up there. But those who migrated north, I believe are more accepting of American culture and less intent on converting America into Mexico. This is why those in northern states feel compelled to condemn the actions of the Arizona government.

No Erik, you are not a racist. You are just seeing the problem as it is, as many of us are. Criminals, perhaps even terrorists, are crossing the border. Others, who may not be criminals, but want to leech off the generosity of the United States' are crossing the border.

This needs to be controlled. We need to stop being so politically correct and afraid of being perceived as racists and do what is right. Arizona is merely doing what the U.S. Constitution says the Federal Government should be doing.