Sunday, October 12, 2008

Religion in Politics

I know this is kinda old news but I want to talk about it because to me it's more important then a lot of issues (although I did get my 401K in the mail this week and that was really ugly) but there are preachers who are endorsing insane more of the same McCain and are demanding that they should not lose their tax exempt status because of it.

I think it's wrong. Absolutely wrong. We should in no way shape or form have religion shoved down our throats (mind you I feel the same way for preachers who endorse Obama) and this is the reason why we have separation of church and state. This should NEVER be allowed and as far as I'm concerned if the preachers who endorsed insane more of the same McCain continue to get their way regarding this and not have the IRS come knocking on their door it will lead us down a more dangerous path then we are going already.

Religion as far as I'm concerned is already too involved with with politics especially here in California with the freaks who want to overturn gay marriage. And they feel they are doing "god's work" now I'm sorry but I would feel if there is a god (and let's face it does anyone really know) god would want every race, religion, viewpoint, sexual preference, whatever to have long happy lives without fears thrust upon them by these radical religious jerks? That's what I would think god would want.

So religion has no place in politics period.

4 comments:

Robert E Wilson said...

Below is an excerpt from an article written by an old acquaintance of mine.

Here is the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

This states that the government is prohibited from establishing a national religion, as England had done, while at the same time requiring that the government to permit the "free exercise" of religion.

The phrase "separation of church and state" appears nowhere in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. It is from a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote in 1802 to the Danbury Baptist Association, a minority denomination in Connecticut facing persecution and fearing the establishment of a state religion. Jefferson's response assured the association the federal government would not establish a national religion and that each person was free to exercise his or her religion.

Because of our forefathers' experiences with the Church of England, they wanted to keep government out of religion, not religion out of government. This is freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

Erik said...

Robert understand I don't want a religion which I disagree with forced upon me(just like I wouldn't want my religion forced upon anyone who disagrees with it). I disagree with "faith based" initiatives I disagree with tax breaks they enjoy (mind you I will disagree with Obama who has said he wants more).

I feel we should be allowed to worship how we choose in the manner we choose. I see we have Christian Radio Stations Christian Television Stations and I really have a problem with that in the fact there aren't if at all differing views.

I feel religion should be kept out of politics and I feel if preachers, rabbis or anyone decides to preach their political viewpoint should pay the penalty for doing so.

Erik said...

As an example take a look at our Prop 8. The ads I hear against it are from churches who oppose gay marriage because they feel god is against it although from what I know of the bible it never mentions it. That's my example they should have their tax exempt status taken away (and I would feel the same for those churches who feel the other way)people should be allowed to marry no matter what their sexual preference is and if you don't like it you don't have to perform the marriage it's honestly that simple.

Robert E Wilson said...

Your point of view is backwards. religion in government is fine, government in religion is wrong.