Tuesday, April 11, 2006

End Of Radio

Tom Petty had a song called The Last DJ which is about L.A. Disc Jockey Jim Ladd however the song has a point as radio is losing an important piece and becoming more computerized.

First last year we had a station Arrow FM which played nothing but my favorite kind of music Classic Rock. That station changed to a format called Jack FM which basically plays any type of music. Don't get me wrong Jack plays songs I haven't heard in ages and plays a lot of good music.

Now we just had another station change to a computerized format. No DJ's no personalization nothing. Just songs being played by a computer.

To me it's a matter of time before choices are going to be eliminated.

5 comments:

Robert E Wilson said...

It's not about choices being eliminated. It's about jobs being eliminated.

I, too, miss Arrow.

Erik said...

Actually it's about both.

Erik said...

IF you think about this for classic rock we just have KLOS and that's it. THere are a few hip-hop stations a couple of adult contemporary stations hundreds of Spanish stations a few talk stations.

Robert E Wilson said...

My new car came with 1 year of Sirius radio and there is a non-commercial '70s music station I occasionally listen to. There's also 60's and 80's stations.

I don't believe I'll renew it next year unless I find something really compelling.

Subscription radio is doing to free radio what cable TV did to free TV.

Erik said...

I have an XM radio myself which I am very happy with.