Saturday, September 02, 2006

Caught in a lie

This is the weekend I was supposed to take my first real vacation in I don't know how long. Naturally I had a cold that didn't ease up til today so I just wasted a lot of money for nothing. So if I'm more upset then normal you can understand why.

But I'd like to comment on a statement released from the White House regarding the term "Stay the course". Here is the comment:

Many Democrats accuse the president of advocating “stay the course” in Iraq, but the White House rejects the phrase and regularly emphasizes that it is adapting tactics to changing circumstances, such as moving more U.S. troops into Baghdad recently after a previous security strategy appeared to fail.

So the White House reject the phrase stay the course. Hmmm I wonder how many times I've heard that: (thanks to thinkprogress for a partial list)

BUSH: We will stay the course, we will complete the job in Iraq. [8/4/05]

SNOW: The second thing you do is you stay the course. [7/10/06]

SNOW: But on the other hand, you also cannot be a President in a wartime and not realize that you’ve got to stay the course. [8/17/06]

BUSH: We will stay the course. [8/30/06]

BUSH: We will stay the course until the job is done, Steve. And the temptation is to try to get the President or somebody to put a timetable on the definition of getting the job done. We’re just going to stay the course. [12/15/03]

BUSH: And my message today to those in Iraq is: We’ll stay the course. [4/13/04]

SNOW: People are going to want more of it, and that’s why the President is determined to stay the course. April. [8/16/06]

BUSH: And that’s why we’re going to stay the course in Iraq. And that’s why when we say something in Iraq, we’re going to do it. [4/16/04]

BUSH: And so we’ve got tough action in Iraq. But we will stay the course. [4/5/04]


Sound to me like someone, or everyone, in the White House doesn't know what they are talking about.

No comments: