Thursday, July 21, 2005

new supreme court nominee

So here is some backround on Judge Roberts on some cases he ruled http://www.latimes.com/search/dispatcher.front?target=article&Query=Excerpts+from+two+Roberts+Opinions)
one of his past rulings upheld the arrest of a 12 year old girl for the hanous crime of eating a french fry.

If someone lives in Washington D.C. let me know the specifics of the law please I'd like to be educated but here is the information I have on the case: A 12 year old purchased an order of french fries (sorry I won't use freedom fries) and while a friend of hers purchased a fare for the subway she ate a single french fry which is from what I understand is against the rules.

Now I realize I defended police in my last column regarding high speed chases but that doesn't mean they are always right and that I always agree with them.

Back to the hearing the girl was arrested, not ticketed for eating a french fry before she entered the station. To me though why arrest her?? Why put her in cuffs and take her to the juvenile ficility and have her mother pick her up.

Judge Roberts agreed with the police. That is your new Supreme Court nominee.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems fairly obvious with the facts given that this should never had gone as far as it had. The officer definitely should have been investigated as it seems he made a very poor judgement in going to such an extreme as to arrest the girl. Unless there are facts we aren't aware of, it would seem more appropriate to have issued a warning or at the worst, a fine.

It's important, however, to realize that as a judge, Roberts could not be prejudiced by the fact that the defendant was a 12 year old girl. He had to weigh whether or not the law had been broken. Clearly, it had, so Roberts made the correct ruling. In doing so, he supported the law, not the police.

Erik said...

I understand your point Robert (never thought I'd see you post on the site again) and I understand a rule was broken I was just wondering why say a ticket wasn't given. I am going to shock you by agreeing with the point that it should not have gone that far but again it's a 12 year old kid eating a single french fry while waiting for her friend to get a fare for the subway.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Erik. I won't let it go to my head that you agree with my point here. :>

Erik said...

I see your head getting bigger all the time :)

Erik said...

Isn't it funny by the way how the white house is refusing to release all the documents on Roberts just as they have done on the energy meetings?? Is there something to hide or what??