Monday, August 20, 2007

Death Threats

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-me-drake16.1aug16,1,914198.story?track=rss

You remember before the election I made posts about the IRS removing a church from tax exempt status because a guest pastor made anti-bush comments and the right gathered their wagons in outrage as they like to do. I wonder why no outrage at the following as a pastor in Buena Park used his church to endorsed a Republican candidate and ask his followers to pray for the death of the group called him on that.

I hope the group, the American's United for Separation of Church and State have this guy charged with making death threats and I hope they have extra protection cause we know about the religious right and some steps they are willing to do to support their cause.

6 comments:

Robert E Wilson said...

Let me make this clear. I do not support this pastor's stand.

What I do want to point out is that you still don't understand what the word "threat" means. (If you recall, we went over this last year concerning Ann Coulter.) Hoping and praying is not the same as threatening.

The following examples are threats:
"I am going to kill you."
"I have a gun and plan on shooting you."
"See this knife, it's for you."

The following examples are not threats:
"I want you to die."
"I pray for you to die."
"I hope my neighbor kills you."

Erik said...

If I said something similar to say Bush that would be conceived a threat and I would have secret service at my door. That's a fact.

Robert E Wilson said...

If you stood in front of the FBI's front office and screamed "I wish George Bush would die!" at the top of your lungs, the worse the FBI could do is nab you for disturbing the peace.

Erik said...

And you are missing the point why doesn't the IRS go after this guy like they did the church in pasadena?

Only different is this guy is pro-republican.

Robert E Wilson said...

No, I got your point. Read the first sentence of my first response. I just wanted to point out your incorrect interpretation of the pastor's remarks as a "threat".

Actually, this time, you have a valid argument concerning the comparison with the Pasadena church.

Erik said...

My fear with him praying for the deaths of those people is some idiot is going to take that seriously and inflict harm since they are sheep.