Monday, February 13, 2006

An opinion please

I'd like to talk a bit seriously for a change about something that happened between my family and myself over the weekend. My sister has 3 kids. Two of them are 10 years old the other 6. I find she's leaving them home alone for short periods of time. One of the kids has cancer (thankfully responding well to treatment so far). I mean how am I supposed to act? It's illegal to do that. Anything can happen (I tried to remind her about Polly Klasp, Jon Bonet Ramsey and Elizabeth Smart among others) and yet I'm the one who gets bitched at. What's wrong with this. I advised people get arrested for this.

I mean what should I do? I won't stand for this but the fallout of what would happen if I called the police would be extremely severe. I tried to be calm but I do let my temper get the best of me cause I don't want anything to happen to the kids. I just don't know what to do right now with this.

5 comments:

Robert E Wilson said...

I assume the parent's mother and father have compelling reasons to be out of the house. In other words, they are not just leaving the kids at home just to get away from them.

If that's the case, what is the alternative? I imagine they don't like leaving the kids alone at home but feel they don't have a choice. I'm sure the last thing they need is for little brother, with no wife or kids of his own, to scold them.

This goes on all the time with families. My advice is let it be.

Erik said...

But Robert my niece has cancer what if something happens. And honestly quite frankly my sister is immature and does n't seem to care. If something happens I can't live with myself.

Erik said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robert E Wilson said...

I realize it's a bad situation. You haven't stated why the children's parent's need to leave them (other than stating your sister is immature). It's hard to give advice when I don't know everything.

You say you are threatening to call the police? Ask yourself if the children would be better off being taken away from their home and family.

Again, I know it's not a good situation but calling the police might make it worse for everyone.

Erik said...

She leaves them to go out. Do what she does. To me it's not why she is leaving them it she shouldn't leave them for anything. It's illegal.