Sunday, October 23, 2005

Born Again

I was reading an op-ed piece in the current section of todays Los Angeles Times but the point of the article was convicted multiple murderer,Stanley "Tookie" Williams, should be spared because he found religion and is born again.

I know this might generate some discussion (especially from Robert who if I recall is against the death penalty) but I'm sorry. This person was tried, given a trial of his pears, CONVICTED and sentenced and just because he found religion, doesn't make what he did right. He took away four lives and no matter what people say that is the most horrible act one can do.

And even though I don't know a lot about the bible but I do know it says "eye for an eye"? Yet religious people just blindly ignore that.

Just a sad state of affairs right now where people feel sorry and sympathetic to a murderer.

1 comment:

Robert E Wilson said...

You have to be careful when quoting the Bible because it is a big book and you can always find one part contradicting the other. The "eye for an eye" statement can be countered with the New Testament stating that all sins are to be forgiven.

I'm with you, though. Rulings definitely should not get overturned or appealed based on this. Whether or not he is "born again" is between him and God. You are also right, I am utterly against the death penalty so the man should spend the rest of his life in prison.