Thursday, March 02, 2006

Scary

I'd like to show a letter, courtesy of rawstory, that Samuel Alieto (not a typo) sent to James Dobson of Focus on the Family:

This is just a short note to express my heartfelt thanks to you and the entire staff of Focus on the Family for your help and support during the past few challenging months.

I would also greatly appreciate it if you would convey my appreciation to the good people from all parts of the country who wrote to tell me they were praying for me and for my family during this period.

As I said when I spoke at my formal vestiture at the White House last week, the prayers of so many people from around the country were a palpable and powerful force.

As long as I serve on the Supreme Court, I will keep in mind the trust that has been placed in me.

I hope we'll have the opportunity to meet personally at some point in the future. In the meantime, my entire family and I hope that you and the Focus on the Family staff know how much we appreciate all that you have done.

Sincerely Yours, Samuel Alito


This letter is a scary reminder of who is now on the Supreme Court. I fear for our future.

I'd like to give some quotes from Mr. Dobson

Children are not casual guests in our home. They have been loaned to us temporarily for the purpose of loving them and instilling a foundation of values on which their future lives will be built.
James Dobson

God has called us to be His representatives in our nation and in our world. Select candidates who represent your views and work for their election.
James Dobson

I'm certain that most couples expect to find intimacy in marriage, but it somehow eludes them.
James Dobson

My observation is that women are merely waiting for their husbands to assume leadership.
James Dobson

One of the problems with sex education... is that it also strips kids - especially girls - of their modesty to have every detail of anatomy, physiology and condom usage made explicit.
James Dobson

State Universities are breeding grounds, quite literally, for sexually transmitted diseases (including HIV), homosexual behavior, unwanted pregnancies, abortions, alcoholism, and drug abuse.
James Dobson


Here are a few more from http://www.elroy.net/ehr/dobson.html

"What is needed is a central registry through which violations of religious freedom can be reported. Henceforth, Focus on the Family will serve as the repository of that information, which will later be reported."

"From the early days of our ministry to the present, I have felt compelled to defend the principles of righteousness within the culture."

"We have stymied the U.N.'s Treaty on the Rights of the Child, at least to this time."

"We have tried unsuccessfully, but valiantly, to keep President Clinton from permitting homosexuals in the military and from assigning women to combat situations. We have fought for the unborn child...."

"Most recently we have opposed the efforts of Haley Barbour, chairman of the Republican National Committee, to move his party away from its historic moral underpinnings and toward a `mush middle' that stands for nothing."

"We must keep a very close eye on these politicians who willingly accept the votes of conservative Christians and then ignore their concerns when their back are turned."

"I am in even greater disagreement with the Democrats who continue to support anti-family concepts at this time."

"I will continue to address the moral issues when I feel our friends need to know what is happening."

"To expect me not to speak on behalf of the things I believe -- and not to defend the voiceless, powerless unborn child -- is absolutely impossible for me. I would rather die than remain silent in response to that which I'm convinced is profoundly offensive to God Himself."

2 comments:

Robert E Wilson said...

What's your point? Both individuals have the right to express their beliefs to each other, don't they?

Erik said...

Again when you say that and you are a member of the Supreme Court I wonder what he means. I'm not saying it's right or wrong for Dobson to say what he wants but when a member of the United States Supreme Court says he will "remember all the work Dobson's group did" I wonder if that means he will rule in favor of things like abortion bans or other topics that the religious right feel strongly of? That's what worries me. Like when Justice Scalia when hunting with Dick Cheney and then ruled in his favor for keeping the energy meetings secret.