Friday, September 02, 2005

Where is it?

One of the things I don't understand is why Presidents (this is all presidents not just Bush) have to tour disaster area's. It seems to me that the best way for presidents to look presidential is to offer aid, support and send in the National Guard.

I just saw Bush tourning the devastation in Gulfport saying help is here. Claiming help is here and more is coming. I just saw the deputy mayor of New Orleans on MSNBC say that only 250 National Guard troops were in New Orleans. I swear I heard the head of this joke of a homeland security say that there were already troops in the thousands there.

I think a mistake made was when the Department of Homeland Security was formed is that FEMA should not of been part of it. And I was right because I think the delay in the rescue/recovery was the fact that there was too much red tape and not enough people to get the effort started.

One more thing the City of New Orleans requested money from Washington D.C. to help shore up the levees there earlier this year and it was denied. Remember that and perhaps how many lives could have been saved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's kind of hard for Georgie to send in the National Guard... 85% of them are helping to 'stabilize' Iraq right now.

The other 15% he needs to keep in reserve in order to send them over as tours of duty end.

Anonymous said...

Presidents do have to tour disaster areas. The allocating of resources (people, food, water, medicine, and supplies) is done by people best qualified to handle this sort of thing. That's not really for the president to do. (It is their responsibility to hire competent people to achieve this task, though.) It is plain to see that touring disaster areas does provide comfort and morale. Also, if they didn't, their opponents would publicly criticize them to no end.

Erik said...

Actually I would not. To me it's just another photo-op for them